Back in the Classroom and Getting Creative With STEAM


With the support of STEAM education materials from JPL, this fourth-grade teacher is discovering innovative methods to reintroduce her children to classroom learning.


Jackie Prosser is a fourth-grade teacher in Fairfield, California, where she is in her second year. She is a recent graduate of the University of California, Riverside, where she earned her teaching certificate as well as a master's degree in education. This is where I met Miss Prosser, thanks to a cooperation between NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory's Education Office and UCR aimed to assist prospective teachers to incorporate STEM into their future classes. She and her classmates impressed me right away as enthusiastic prospective instructors who were already experimenting with new methods to include space science into their lessons.


However, for Miss Prosser and other teachers who began their careers in the midst of a pandemic, the transition has been difficult. She began her student teaching in person, only to discover after four months that she would have to convert to teach remotely. Now that she's back in the classroom, she's up to the task of bringing pupils up to speed intellectually while also reacquainting them with the social side of face-to-face learning.


I spoke with her to learn more about how she's navigating the shift and coming up with innovative methods to meet her kids' specific needs while also combining science and art into her curriculum using STEAM tools from the JPL Education Office.


What made you want to become an elementary school teacher?


I became a teacher because I enjoy witnessing that "aha" moment when an idea finally sinks into a child's head. Even after the craziest two years of my life, I am still a teacher because every child needs someone to fight for them, and I know I can be that person for at least 32 children every year.


I enjoy teaching young children for two reasons. The first is their candor; no one can tell you the truth like a nine-year-old can. The second reason is that I admire children's enthusiasm for learning at this age.


It has been a bumpy couple of years, especially this past school year when it was unclear if we would be remote again or back in the classroom. How has it been coming back from remote learning?


Returning from remote learning has been a huge struggle, but we've made significant progress since the beginning of the year. Students suffered greatly in their return to a highly controlled atmosphere. It was difficult to strike a balance between satisfying each student's particular requirements and acclimating them to the classroom's structure and expectations.


My fourth graders spent the last several months of second grade and the majority of third grade online. This is when adolescents begin to handle disagreements and control their emotions on their own, with less adult assistance. This year, I've witnessed a lot more emotional management and conflict issues among my kids than in previous years.


Teachers are under a lot of pressure right now to make up for all of the lost learning and children falling behind on grade-level benchmarks. However, I believe that not many people discuss how much fun and social connection they missed as a result of distant learning. Teachers are feeling the strain as well. I want to assist my students in becoming the greatest versions of themselves, and being happy and comfortable in their own skin is an important part of that.


How do you structure your class to get students back in the flow of a school setting?



In my math sessions, I utilize a lot of manipulatives and attempt to make their learning as hands-on as possible. To better meet the specific requirements of my pupils, I also teach math in small groups. I have one group studying the lesson with me, one group practicing the skill alone, and one group working on their laptops. The students then exchange groups until each exercise has been completed by each group.


You’re a big fan of science and came to several JPL Education workshops while you were still in school yourself. Are there JPL Education resources that you have found particularly impactful for your students?


Teaching science has always been a passion of mine. It is frequently overlooked or ignored. I believe this occurs frequently because instructors believe they lack the necessary background knowledge to give high-quality scientific classes, or they believe the lessons would add to their already heavy workload. Because my district does not have an established or set curriculum for teachers to follow, we have a lot of flexibility in terms of when and how we include STEAM into our lessons.


My kids like the teaching materials [from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory], which have made it so simple for me to teach and get them enthused about science. Make a Paper Mars Helicopter and Art and the Cosmic Connection appear to be perennial favorites.





I'm also a part of the science pilot program in my district. It's been incredible to be able to choose which curriculum to pilot and then watch my students put it to the test and provide comments on their progress. I had the incredible chance to teach science at two primary schools' summer programs last year. My partner teacher and I were given the task of creating their curriculum, and we drew a lot of ideas from the JPL Education website. It was by far the most enjoyable job I've ever had.

Despite being a new teacher, you’ve already seen so much. How have you navigated the changing landscape?


I have an incredible group of professors that are always there for me. My grade-level team and credential program pals are some of the most incredible people and educators I've ever encountered. Without them, I wouldn't be able to get through the more challenging portions of teaching.


I also coach the boy's soccer team, lead the school's "Lion King Jr." performance, help with the science pilot program, and am a member of the social committee for teachers and staff. I like utilizing these many positions to build relationships with kids of all ages, not just my own.


Click here for more trending news

You can also follow us on our Facebook page

You can also follow us on our Twitter page

Comments