Lions' Aidan Hutchinson dedicates 3-sack outing to 5-year-old leukemia patient Hudson Gazsi


Aidan Hutchinson, the No. 2 overall choice, broke a rookie record for the Detroit Lions on Sunday by producing three sacks in a 36-27 victory over the Washington Commanders.


First-round pick Hudson Gazsi, who was five when he was given the diagnosis of acute lymphoblastic leukemia on September 7, provided added incentive for the game.


According to Eric Woodyard of ESPN, Hutchinson remarked following the game, "This game is dedicated to Hudson, who is a youngster who recently got diagnosed with leukemia." "He's from my region and a huge Lions supporter. In advance of the game, I emailed him a video. He was encouraging me. Just being able to play nice games to educate youngsters like that makes me happy. Simply increase public awareness of issues like that."


Hutchinson filmed a video for Gazsi at the stadium prior to kickoff.


In the video, Hutchinson counsels Gazsi to "just keep pushing through and keep hanging in there." "I know you're sort of going through it right now, but I hope you get some inspiration from watching our game on Sunday and keep pulling for me. Plus, in a few hours, I'll have you on my wrist on my game tape, so it's going to be a very funny moment, and I can't wait to see you, dude. Lions, go."


The Lions departed.


Hutchinson and the defense closed the door late to secure Detroit's first victory of the year after they jumped out to a large lead.


According to NFL Research, Hutchinson became the third rookie selected in the top 10 to have three or more sacks through two career games and the fourth-youngest player to have three or more sacks in a game (only Nick Bosa in 2019 and Vernon Maxwell and Greg Townsend in 1983 were younger).


That's very cool, remarked Hutchinson. "However, in my opinion, every player on that defensive line contributed to it. Everyone is just doing their duties, and I am fortunate to have reaped many of the benefits this week. The defensive line as a whole made the most of this week's opportunity, and I believe I did too.


"I thought we were clicking today," someone said. "Sacks are a really tiresome thing, so you need everyone clicking."


Click here for more trending news

You can also follow us on our Facebook page

You can also follow us on our Twitter page

Comments